Workout Planet

Bodybuilding supplements reviews, fitness products, workout nutrition guides and workout tips on how to gain muscle mass, loose fat plus everything else you need to know to stay fit.

Workout Planet

Protein Supplements: Whey Protein, Casein Protein & Albumin

March 22nd, 2011 · Add Comments

Proteins are the building blocks that help us reconstruct our muscle tissues after strenuous workout sessions. Protein supplements are by far the most popular and needed bodybuilding supplement for anyone training seriously.

Protein supplements can be found in powders, rx bars, tabs and as MRPs (meal replacements). The most consumed type of proteins by athletes is Whey Protein, Casein Protein & Albumin. Less consumed are Soy protein supplements but also a good type of protein to aid muscle recovery.

In this article I’ll talk about the most popular protein supplements and why you should consider adding them to your supplemental diet.

Let’s start with the one I consider the most popular and essential sports nutrition supplement, whey protein. It doesn’t matter if you are cutting or bulking up whey protein must be included in your diet. Obviously you need different types of whey for each stage, when cutting you want a lean whey protein supplement with zero carbs, fat and cholesterol, just pure high absorption whey. When bulking up you want the opposite.

A few years ago I wrote Whey Protein the essential bodybuilding supplement where I talked about the three different types of whey available in the market at that time, concentrated, isolate and hydrolyzed. These continue to be the three types available and they differ on biological value, in other words how fast your body can absorb it.

As it is extracted from milk’s syrup lactose intolerant athletes might react to it so my advice is if you are lactose intolerant talk to you GP before making use of it.

Same goes for Casein as it is another milk protein extract Caseins could be a problem for lactose intolerant athletes.

As afore mentioned Casein protein, is predominantly found in milk and makes up around 80% of the protein contained in cows milk. The other 20% of protein found in cow’s milk is whey protein. With an impressive amino profile Casein is commonly used as a slow digestion protein.

Because of its slow releasing properties it is recommended you consume it before going to bed to keep you body fuelled properly and don’t stop muscle protein intake which will cause muscle tissue to break stopping growth.

Albumin is probably the oldest type of supplemental protein taken by athletes. Who doesn’t remember that classic Rocky scene where Sylvester Stallone drinks full glasses of egg whites? That is Albumin in its purest states, well we have supplements for these that isolate it complete, but you know what I mean.

Like other protein supplements, Albumin helps in the reconstruction of the muscle tissue and prevents over-training. Thanks to its high biological level, all the egg protein ingested is retained by the body and it contains all the essential amino acids needed by the body.

So which one is best for me?

Hard to establish which protein is the best as each body responds to them differently. My advice is experiment with all of them and see which returns the best results.

I want to hear from you know. Which type of protein works best for you? Share your experience in our comments section.

Tags: BodyBuilding Supplements Reviews · Nutrition


Attention! Workout Planet do not recommend the use of any bodybuilding supplement without consulting a doctor or a nutritionist first and is not responsible for any complications caused by the use on any bodybuilding supplement reviewed. Do not start a workout program without the supervision of a professional in the area.

0 responses so far ↓

  • There are no comments yet...Kick things off by filling out the form below.

Leave a Comment